Wyong Rugby League Club is the oldest established Club on the Central Coast. It’s history can be traced back to around 1900 & possibly as far back as 1893. It was born out of the district from Dooralong, Wyong, Jilliby, Tuggerah & Morriset. The initial home base was located at Baker Park in Central Wyong.
On the 19th May 1971 the Club purchased five & three quarter acres on what was then known as Arizona Road, Kanwal and at the princely sum of fifteen thousand dollars leased an adjoining thirteen acres with an option to buy. That option was taken upshortly after. The Crowe family owned the entire area and the original home was used as a clubhouse for meetings until it was sold and relocated to it’s present location at Chelmsford Road, Charmhaven. The driving force behind the move was Morry Breen, a man of extraordinary vision after whom the main oval was named.
For the next two years there was a flurry of activity that saw the main oval and initial clubhouse built and culminated with the full liquor license being granted in the name of Life Member, Terry Wand. Trading commenced on 6th March 1973 under the management of Keith Riley. When Keith suddenly resigned in 1974 his assistant manager Harry Storm took over ably assisted by Hilton Robinson and Keith Barben.
In 1977 a further twenty six acres of adjoining land were purchased on the northern boundary of the existing property. Around 1984 renovations that included the present auditorium were completed. In 1986 under pressure from increased interest rates, a downturn in the economy and the introduction of ‘random breath testing’ the licensed club was placed under Official Management.
The Club remained under management until in June 1993 when full control was handed back to the Directors. The discharge of the debt coincided with the sale of land on the northern end of the property that the Club had developed into housing blocks. In 1996 extensive renovations saw rationalisation and extension of the Clubs premises into it’s present form.
In more recent years amalgamation with the former Masonic Club on the lake at Gorokan & the historic Wyong Bowling Club on the river at Wyong has seen the emergence of’ The Wyong Leagues Club Group’, an organisation still dedicated to promoting & fostering rugby league but with the resources now to promote a large range of other sports within the community. The Clubs activities within the local sporting community was recognised in 2003 when it was awarded the Clubs NSW Award for Encouragement of Sport from a strong field of licensed clubs within the state.
The ‘Old Boys’ represent past players who have worn the green and gold Roos jersey. Stay tuned for somemore ‘Old Boys’ history.